No one ever wants frizzy hair and our hair often goes frizzy at the worst possible time! It can feel exhausting trying to tame our frizzy hair everyday especially if the weather is humid!
Here we have the definitive guide to how to prevent frizzy hair in the first place.
Let's Eliminate Frizzy Hair!
IMPORTANT – There are many things that can exacerbate frizzy hair which we will touch on but there is one fundamental that if you can grasp you will be well on the way to winning the frizz game! Frizzy Hair is due to your hair being dry and lacking moisture. Most of the causes of frizzy hair are actually due to your hair drying out so if we can combat this and keep your hair healthy and well hydrated we eliminate the frizz!
To fully understand what happens we need to get a little technical – when your hair is dry or damaged the hair cuticle is rough and “opens up” and this open cuticle will grab at any moisture which equals frizz. We want a nice smooth healthy cuticle which can deal with moisture and not become frizzy.
Below we list the top 10 causes of frizzy hair (or as we now know 10 things that strip your hair of moisture!) Hopefully some of these you can easily identify with and you may realise they have snuck into your hair routine.
It is likely that if you are really determined to rid the frizz it will be a number of things you need to change buy hey it may just mean a slight tweak or swap out a habit or product and you will soon see great results!
- Long Hot Showers if you stand under the shower for too long and the water is too hot you will start your day by stripping your hair of essential oils. When washing your hair go for luke-warm short showers
- Ruffling Dry with Towel – if your towel is too abrasive you can damage your hair which can cause frizz. Try using a microfiber towel or not using a towel at all and leaving it to air dry
Styling Hair without Thermal Protection can lead to damage. Apply styling product with thermal protection to wet hair from roots to tip. Applying a product with thermal protection into wet hair is essential as it prevents extra damage caused by your hairdryer or styling irons.
Apply to damp hair and style as desired
Brushing – a cheap brush that pulls at your hair will not help us prevent frizz. Find a bush that has good quality bristles that does not pull at your hair.
- Over Shampooing – if you shampoo every day you may be stripping those essential hair oils, your hair will dry out which as we know leads to frizz. Go for washing 2 to 3 times per week max.
Regular use of Hot Tools such as a hair dryer, straightener or curling iron will defiantly put pressure on your hair. Once damaged we are again opening ourselves up for frizz.Try being mindful how many times you are using your hot tools – as your hair gets in better shape you may find the need to straighten is less. When you do straighten it is essential you use a heat protect spray to create a protective layer on your hair before applying heat.
Not only a heat protectant but has another 20 benefits to help keep your hair healthy – a real must have!
- Lack of Regular Trims – if you don’t have your hair cut for a long period of time you may find split ends form. These rough and dry ends will be a cause of frizziness. It is essential you get a trim every 6 weeks to keep your ends in check.
Sulphates in shampoo have been shown to strip hair of its natural protective oils which keep moisture in. Choose a sulphate free shampoo and conditioner that contains as many natural ingredients as possible to help protect your hair. We recommend thinking twice about a cheaper shampoo / conditioner as this will often contain sulphates and harsh chemicals.
Chemical treatments such as bleaching, perming and colouring over time can damage the integrity of your hair and damaged hair will be frizzy. If you are going to regularly have chemical treatments in the salon (and why wouldn’t you??) we highly recommend adding a repairing treatment to your routine, leave in conditioner or masks prior and after the treatment to ensure your hair is in great shape to take the chemicals.
Apply to wet hair twice a week – leave in as long as you can and wash out thoroughly.
Apply once a week – leave in for 15 minutes and wash out thoroughly
- Humidity – although not a cause of frizziness you will find if you are in a humid environment with dry / damaged hair those hair cuticles will suck in the moisture in the air which leads to frizz. Follow the steps listed here so your hair is in better shape and also for the times you are in a humid climate use a dedicated spray to give you and extra protective boost – apply to wet hair prior to going out.
Redken Frizz Dismiss Rebel Tame Leave-in Smoothing Control Cream delivers maximum smoothing control in medium to high humidity. The leave-in cream provides smoothness and humidity protection plus protection from heat styling up to 446 degrees.